The mission of HEI-Energy is to provide high-quality, impartial, and policy-relevant science on the potential human population exposures and health effects from onshore development of oil and natural gas from shale and other unconventional resources (UOGD) across the United States.
The Energy Research Program will benefit decision-makers through:
- Independent governance of the research program with leadership by an independent board of directors not affiliated with sponsors;
- Balanced funding from governmental agencies, the oil and gas industry, and foundations;
- High-quality science with research oversight by committees of knowledgeable scientists who have been vetted for bias and conflict of interest;
- Open and extensive communication of all results, including both positive and negative findings, in the context of other relevant research;
- Active efforts to work with investigators to make data and methods publicly available; and
- Science targeted to making better-informed decisions without advocating policy positions.